Raster image doesn't show

d c dark.peony at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 5 10:44:03 EDT 2006

Ed,

This is the extent of my map:

EXTENT -3174450 -2816050 2867175 2406325
UNITS METERS

I'm trying to display a point element on a geotiff raster file, as follows
(Note the decimal degree format):

LAYER
    TYPE POINT
    STATUS DEFAULT
      FEATURE
        POINTS
            56.5333333 -71.5  #  <------- DD
        END
        TEXT "HELLO WORLD"
    END
    CLASS
        COLOR 255 0 0
        SYMBOL 'cross'
        LABEL
            TYPE bitmap
        END
    END
    TOLERANCE 5
END

The label, according to the coordinates given, sometimes appears, sometimes
does not and most often
on the same (erroneous) spot.

I tried to change the EXTENT (and UNITS) to decimal degrees according to the
output of gdalinfo which outputs corner coordinates both in meters and
decimal degrees. I thought I could this way make Mapserver understand I was
specifying the input in decimal degrees so it should output correctly the
point I want to draw. The scalebar also revealed seriously confused.

I did not mention that the map is of Antarctica. This apparently complicates
the matter since the EXTENT values are different than on most maps.

I'm new to this so I haven't got much knowledge about projections. The
following two I have used successfully in displaying the map (but not the
point):

PROJECTION
 "proj=stere"
 "ellps=WGS84"