error 1 on virtual point layer

Mark Adams Mark.Adams at DPRA.COM
Wed May 10 19:14:48 EDT 2006

OK, I've done some more work on this, and the results are... well, strange. Here's what I found, in case it helps others work through the same situation:

I was able to get my virtual layer to work by going back to a slightly earlier build of mapserver and mapscript. The one that didn't work was a late April build, the one that did work was an early April build, both custom builds supplied by Assefa at DM. The primary difference (from my point of view) between the builds is that the later build, the one that didn't work with the virtual layers, supports fastcgi.

What is interesting is this: prior to going back to the earlier mapserver executable, I tried to simply swap out the gdal13.dll for the earlier version. This resulted in the same errors ("[MapServer Error]: msOGRFileNextShape(): SetAttributeFilter() not supported on ExecuteSQL() results."), so no change. It was when I swapped out the mapserver/mapscript executables that I was able to get the virtual layer to work. So does that imply that it's not gdal itself that is causing the problem, but in how mapserver/mapscript is using it? (Apologies if that's an egghead question.)

So for now, I'm up and running, just can't use the build that supports fastcgi....

Cheers.

------------------------------
Mark Adams
Senior Analyst & Project Manager
Cuesta Systems (DPRA Canada)
5230 South Service Road
Burlington, ON L7L 5K2
Phone: 905-333-4544 x14
Fax: 905-333-0455
Email: mark.adams at dpra.com

________________________________

From: Frank Warmerdam on behalf of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Wed 5/10/2006 2:37 PM
To: Mark Adams
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] error 1 on virtual point layer

Mark Adams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found references to this problem in the list, but no solution:
> I've got an application developed in our office that uses ODBC
> connections and OVF files to publish several layers from an Oracle
> database. All is working well in our office; however, this week I am
> implementing the app in the client's environment, and mapserver is
> failing on trying to load the virtual layers (no mapserver error, just
> never get a map back).
>
> Using OGRINFO I can see the data, but I get an error message before the
> results are listed:
> ERROR1: SetAttributeFilter() not supported on ExecuteSQL() results
>
> I am presuming that this error is also the reason why the layer doesn't
> draw in mapserver.
> Does anyone have any insight as to what this error means?

Mark,

I am guessing you have slightly different versions of OGR in your different
environments.  The message means that an SQL result (perhaps using
SrcSQL in the OVF file?) is being constrained with a SetAttributeFilter()
call.  But this is not supported and the attribute filter will be ignored.

I believe this was always the case, but there was some recent work to
propagate the errors out properly which may have changed the behavior.

I don't know that this will help you.  It is vaguely possible that updating
to GDAL/OGR 1.3.2 will help in this regard as I made a few changes in
the OGR VRT and OGR ODBC drivers to better handle this whole sequence.
Or, that may be what is causing the problems!

Best regards,