Compression in TIF files: disk space vs. performance

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sun May 14 16:35:16 EDT 2006

Andreas -

If you are using scanned black and white cadastral images, I suggest you
do a test with LZW-compressed TIFFs.  You may get excellent results.

The LZW compression scheme requires that the entire data set be
decompressed starting from the beginning in order to decompress any
piece of the data.  This can cause a performance problem since you may
have to decompress the whole image just to get the lower-right corner.

However, you can specify that your image use a small number of rows per
strip, rather than treat the entire image as one strip.  This will make
each strip a separate LZW data set, so you will only need to decompress
the strips you need rather than the whole image.  This will reduce the
compression ratio a little bit (making your output image a little
larger) but can make it quite a bit faster.  You can use geotifcp -c LZW
-r 1, for example, to create an LZW-compressed copy of your image with
one row per strip; you'll probably find the best results with a small
number for -r, but 1 is probably too small.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.