question about shp2tile

Blammo bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Wed May 17 18:42:04 EDT 2006

The number parameter is telling the slicer/chopper to stop adding to a
particular tile one that number is reached.

The -q paramter stands for Quad-tree tiling, which uses a overlapping
unequal tiling scheme that's based on the number of elements in the
tile.  This works very well for point datasets for example, where there
are concentration of points in cerain areas and sparsly populated areas
in other locations. if the data is more os less even spaced over the
coverage area you can use a gridded tiling system instead with
essentially the same results.

As far as what number to use, that's a trial and error matter, try one,
build the tiles, do a query, then try another  . . . .

I've got some datasets with millions of points in them where I went down
to 10000 points per tile with good results.   If you know what the
number of average results a particular view is likely to have in it, you
could use that number for the tiling to get you started.

The benefits of tiling the data go down the more tiles you need to look
at at query time.

bobb