Blank images with mapscript in redhat enterprise 4

Thu Nov 2 08:18:07 EST 2006

Please do not cross-post questions to the -users and -dev list. I have
intentionally sent this response only to the -users list since that's
where it belongs.

A few things to try/check:

1- You write that the application crashes? Do you mean that you see
segmentation fault messages in the error_log? If not then what are the
symptoms of the "crash"? You also write that you get blank images
randomly... so is the problem that you get blank images, or that the
requests crash/abort and return only partial responses?

2- Is it possible that your RHE system is running PHP as an Apache
module and not PHP as a CGI? Can you please confirm that?

3- I'd recommend that your use MapServer 4.10 for your tests, it
contains a fix for bug 1322 that might be related to your problem

4- In general when you get intermittent seg faults they are caused by
conflicting libraries used by one of Apache, PHP or MapServer/MapScript.
For instance if your PHP includes the GD extension and uses PHP's
built-in version of GD then that might be a source of conflicts with the
system GD used by MapScript. You could try rebuilding PHP without the GD
extension, or if you need the GD extension then use the system GD, i.e.
the same GD that is used by MapServer and PHP MapScript.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/