Shapefile classification by attribute

D. Eric Keefauver eric.keefauver at MTU.EDU
Wed Nov 15 11:48:54 EST 2006

Hello,

I have been an ArcIMS user for quite sometime and have been "playing" with
Mapserver (the ITASCA demo)in rendering simple shapefiles. My question is
this:  I have a county shapefile (83 counties) that has a few attributes
in the file e.g., -- Shape -Name - Acres_2002- Acres_2003- Cost_2002 -
Cost_2003- etc.

I would like to be able to display an attribute on user selection. For
instance, if the user selects Acres_2002 the map would display the
attribute field Acres_2002 based on some sort of classification with the
end result being a chloropleth rendering of the attribute field
Acres_2002. Can this be done with straight Mapserver functionality? I am
using MS4W v1.4.0.

I thank you in advance,

Eric

Eric Keefauver