Rectangular abels with border and rounded corners?

Dave Pearson pearsondave at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 16 17:10:18 EST 2006

Is it possible (using php-mapscript if necessary) to persuade mapserver to
produce rectangular labels with rounded corners, and a border which goes all
the way around the label?
I have tried various permutations using the default labelling commands, and
can get for example red text on a white background, but I can't figure out
how to make a continuous red border.
Is it possible that the technique used to make a highway shield under a
number could be extended such that a background would "stretch" to fit
behind variable length text, like in an IMG in HTTP?
Many thanks,
Dave Pearson