Raster tile indexing in PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Nov 23 14:48:56 EST 2006

I generally agree with Frank, but I have had one anecdotal report from a
user that they found PostGIS faster than Shape files on plain old read
operations once the concurrency cranked up.

Now, I can think of no technical reason why that might be so, and I have
never independently verified the report, but it is something that keeps
me from blanket saying "Shape files are faster for simple read
workloads" anymore.

(Maybe someone here can do a test?)