WFS, FeatureQuery, & ResultSets

Shorthouse, David dps1 at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Nov 27 15:52:34 EST 2006

Folks,

I use MapServer to overlay point data on shapefile layers using an ODBC OGR
connection. I'm writing to solicit ideas for how to best design a geocoding
error checking query. In addition to having the requisite latitudes and
longitudes, the ODBC data source also has client documented State/Province
names in full. What I hope to do is perform something like a FeatureQuery to
find all records within the ODBC data source whose documented State/Province
& latitude/longitude do not correspond to that in the shapefile (i.e. find
all database records whose latitude/longitude fall outside the client's
documented State/Province). What I ultimately need to do is produce a
recordset containing these erroneous records.either the client documented
State/Province is wrong or (more likely) their documented latitude or
longitude are wrong. In either case, I need to spit these out for clients.

So, what are the steps I need to do to execute this? Perhaps something like:

1.    Produce temporary shapefile of points (ogr2ogr)

2.    Execute a FeatureQuery

3.    Produce WFS of results

4.    Parse WFS for RecordSet

There must be an easier way.