Streets and streets' labels drawing performance

Jeff Dege jdege at KORTERRA.COM
Thu Apr 5 18:40:40 EDT 2007

> From: UMN MapServer Users List
> [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Gregor Mosheh
>
> >     But the performance is a huge problem when it tries to render
the
> > streets and the accompanying labels. And I mean it, the server bends
and
> > stays on its knees for minutes while I wait for the map to show.
>
> Yeah, that'll happen; it's very easy to do street data
> not-quite-right and make it slooooow.

So how do we make it right?

I'm having the same problem, with one customer-supplied shapefile.  I've
managed decent performance with others, but this one just stalls when I
turn on street names, even at zoom levels where only two are three names
displayed.

I did what I know how to do - running shptree, setting maxscale so that
streetnames aren't drawn except at close-in zooms.  I even ran the file
through ogr2ogr, in case the files I'd been supplied had somehow been
corrupted.  And it's not all that big a file - less than 800,000
features.

What else can I do?