Estimate number of active/registered MapServer users/developers

Thy, Kristian Kristian.Thy at ATKINSGLOBAL.COM
Fri Apr 13 03:55:11 EDT 2007

From: Gambin Dejan
> I think I have incorrectly expressed myself. I was thinking on any
> "numbers" (statistical data or something like that) that
> could encourage people to seriously think about the MapServer
> alternative if they ever decide to implement a WebGIS solution
> (for example the number of members in the lists, the number of
> downloads as you suggested, or even better some relative numbers
> that show the MapServer growth in time).

Numbers mean little here IMHO. Would you eat at McDonald's because
lots of other people do? Go for the qualitative instead of the
quantitative; have a look at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/gallery
for some great examples. Unfortunately, I don't think MapServer has
case studies like PostGIS's, which I found immensely useful as a
presentational aid. I'd love to be proven wrong, though :)

best regards,
Kristian

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.  Registered in England No. 1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.