google earth images

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 16 08:36:42 EDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:
> > I´d like to add a layer with a google earth image on my map. Does anybody
> > know if it is possible? any examples?
>
> This question comes up about once a month, yeah? :)
>
> There's no way to use Google Maps layers directly in Mapserver; it's a
> violation of Google's usage policy, and they've shot down attempts to do
> it in the past.
>
> However, you can do the opposite, and overlay WMS data onto a Google Map
> -- so you get the cool slippy maps but with your own photos. And you can
> try something like OpenLayers, which has support for both Google Maps and
> for WMS (e.g. from Mapserver) data sources.
>
> -Gregor

I am confused by why using OpenLayers is okay, but using MapServer is
not. In both cases you are adding your own content to Google Maps
content. With OL it is being done on the client in the browser, with
MapServer it is being done on the server and passed t the browser. But
the net effect seems similar. So why does Google care how you do it?

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com