Virtual Tables

Kevin Flanders kevin at PEOPLEGIS.COM
Wed Apr 18 13:41:09 EDT 2007

I would like to map a virtual table, and I am told I can do it without
declaring an ODBC.using the following mapfile layer definition:

  LAYER

    NAME "Fire Data"

    GROUP "Fire Data"

    STATUS on

    TYPE point

    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR

    CONNECTION "<OGRVRTDataSource>

                                     <OGRVRTLayer  name='firegis'>

                                       <SrcLayer>mapsonline.csv</SrcLayer>

                                       <GeometryField
encoding='PointFromColumns' x='XCOORD' y='YCOORD'/>

                                       <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>

                                     </OGRVRTLayer>

                                   </OGRVRTDataSource>"

    TEMPLATE "ttt"

    TOLERANCE 4

    CLASS

      NAME "Fire Data"

      SYMBOL "circle"

      OUTLINECOLOR 80 80 80

      COLOR 219 0 0

      SIZE 12

    END

  END

But this fails.  Do I need an ODBC..or is it true I can access a text file
directly in this manner.  The data is being placed with all my other
shapefiles (ie. in the same folder).

Also, can the .csv file just as easily be a .txt file..and can the entries
have quotations around them?

Kevin