creating a streetmap

Hugo gis at HUGOHIRAM.COM
Sat Feb 3 09:38:26 EST 2007

Hello

I've installed Apache 2 webserver, PHP 5.2, Mapserver 4.1, MapScript for PHP,
PostgreSQL 8.2 and PostGIS, I've seen the demos and everything seems to work
perfectly.

Ok, I want to create a streetmap from a smalltown, all I have is a bunch of
aerial images (photos), and a small map on paper with the names of streets, etc.

I really don't know how to start, what software do I need to use to create the
map and to store the spatial data on a postgresql DB?, are any of these tools
for windows (client) or just for Linux (on the server or client)?

is .map the best format to work with in mapserver?

just as extra information,  I had a few classes on ArcCatalog and ArcMap, and as
you can see, I didn't learn to much (just to make queries, to modify shapes, add
layers, etc. not very useful stuff).

Ok, if someone could explain this to me or provide useful links it will be
greatly appreciated.

thank you very much!

Hugo.