creating a streetmap

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Sat Feb 3 11:29:40 EST 2007

I think what you want to do is download a set of TIGER data (from US Census
Bureau - http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html) for the
area/county of your area, and that will give you a vector layer of streets
with their names. If you can't get them as shapefiles directly, the ogr2ogr
conversion tool that comes with the GDAL package can convert TIGER to
shapefile.

Then just add that data set as a layer in your .MAP file. You can use the
shapefiles directly or import them into PostgreSQL and use them from there.