Delay time using ECW tile in LINUX

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Feb 13 09:49:29 EST 2007

Juanma M. wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have been working with mapserver in Windows and Linux. I have been
> using a ECW tile layer in both and it results in a delay in LINUX of 3-4
> seconds. I don't understand why it is happening because in Windows
> doesn't take a second creating the image. The delay is always the same,
> it doesn't matter the size of the image or if it is in local or through
> the network.
>
> I am trying to change the options compiling mapserver or GDAL because it
> doesn't seem to be a problem of the apache server because all the other
> layers work propperly. I will try also to detect where the delay is
> produced by activating the debug mode in mapserver.
>
> Did anyone have the same problem?

Juanma,

I've never run into this myself.  Do you also see a similar delay when
using gdalinfo to report on the ecw file, or gdal_translate on a small
file?  I'd suggest trying to debug it at that level rather than within
mapserver if you can reproduce the problem there.

Also, you might want to contrast with FWTools which also includes ECW
support.

Best regards,