mapserver with postgis

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Thu Feb 15 16:46:20 EST 2007

Agustina,

Multipolygon is not a valid layer type in MapServer.  Take a look at the mapfile reference document.  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer

In the LAYER section, look at TYPE.  I am guessing that you might want to try POLYGON.

TYPE [point|line|polygon|circle|annotation|raster|query]

David.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Agustina Buccella
	Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:04 PM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] mapserver with postgis

	I have installed Mapserver and Postgis in Fedora Core 4.

	My .map file has the following lines:

	LAYER
	CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
	NAME "test"
	CONNECTION "user=xxx password=xxx dbname=XX host=localhost port=5432"
	DATA "the_geom from argentina"
	TYPE MULTIPOLYGON
	END
	END

	But when I try to use mapserver the  web server (apache) gives me the following error:

	getSymbol():Symbol definition error. (MULTIPOLYGON)

	The .map file is called by using the following link in the web browser:

	http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/data/test.map&mode=map

	I have tried with other source data (sql table) and other symbols like MULTILINESTRING, etc. but I always receive the same error.

	What am I doing wrong?

	Thanks!
	Agustina

	Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.