Mapserver acceptance as open source

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Sun Jan 7 16:27:41 EST 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 21:00, John Mitchell wrote:
> I am getting concerned that Mapserver will not be accepted by one of our
> clients because its open source.  Has anyone else ever have a similar
> problem?  Does anyone have any advice?

Try to find out what exactly in open source bothers them, and dissolve any FUD
that they might have been spread to them. If they have a list of issues, that
can be dealt with, if it's just 'gut feeling' from management then it will be
much harder. If you are talking to suits (no offense anyone :), from personal
experience, do not emphasise the free aspect of Open Source (beer or word),
rather concentrate on synergy, development speed, flexibility, community
aspects. I found it helpful to use big companies that use Open Source for
reference and added authority, like - Hey, if it's good enough for IBM on
their big iron and it's good enough for Google for their top services... And
these are companies that have many many factors on which to judge software,
not only price. Again, I must underline you must find out what exactly
bothers them in Open Source and address that particular issue, it will help
much more than 3rd party success stories.

A good read on the topic:

http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case_for_business.php
http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/faq.php