Mapserver acceptance as open source

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun Jan 7 17:19:15 EST 2007

John Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting concerned that Mapserver will not be accepted by one of our
> clients because its open source.  Has anyone else ever have a similar
> problem?  Does anyone have any advice?

John,

Like many of the other folks who responded, I think it is hard to
offer much advice without particulars of why the client is concerned.

One goal of OSGeo is to overcome some concerns with regard to open source.
For instance, we vette the code to ensure that there aren't "intellectual
property" landmines in the future, and we try to build a governance structure
around projects to provide assurance they are well managed and will last for
the long haul.

I would be quite interested in hearing what the clients concerns are, and
if there are things that OSGeo can or should be doing to address the
concerns.

Best regards,