Slow map server doing getcapabilities with 200 layers

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at OSGIS.NL
Tue Jan 9 07:14:59 EST 2007

Probably Oracle is calculating the boundingboxes/extents for all of your
LAYERS, this is requested by Mapserver to produce the capabilities and is
very time consuming/costly.

Try setting the wms_extent METADATA for all of your LAYERs so that no
automatic calculation of the extents will be performed.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart van den Eijnden
OSGIS, Open Source GIS
http://www.osgis.nl

--------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Van: José Ramón López <joseramonlopez at GMAIL.COM>
Naar: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Onderwerp: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Slow map server doing getcapabilities with
200 layers
Datum: 09/01/07 10:03

> Hi dear list, again.We are trying to make a wms service with MapServer.
The number of layers is 180, wich are stored in Oracle. When we do a
GetCapabilities request, it takes a lot of time sending the xml file. While
it is sending the file, something curious happens. The process that takes
the most of the memory of the computer is Oracle. Is there any parameter
defined in the .map file, that makes the computer verify all the layers
stored in the .map file?
> When i do a getlayer like ...Request=GetMap&amp;Layers=xxx, it shows me
fast.Does Oracle verify the layers, when we do a getcapabilities request?How
i could optimize this?Thanks for all