MapServer contains some memory leaks whereby running it in FastCGI mode

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 20 08:39:36 EST 2007

Howard,

I can't disclose the below mentioned product.  A few months ago I was told
that we were going to use this product for rapid display of Raster mosaic
imagery, and I started to look for alternatives when I did not get customer
support in a timely fashion.  I asked the  Community Mapbuilder's developers
list for alternatives and MapServer was one of the possibilities suggested.
In my testing of MapServer so far I have been very impressed with it's
flexibility and performance, but the memory leak issue is the only thing
that concerns me at this point.  I have not been able to replicate the
memory leak problem, but I wanted to know if any other users have
experienced this problem, and if their is a plan to fix this problem.  I use
open source for all my other applications so it makes sense to stick with
MapServer.

Why they are not willing to contribute their fixes back to the software?  I
don't know other than to speculate that they want to be able to justify
their high price by their software's uniqueness.

John