from where can I get GIS data?

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Tue Jun 12 07:46:02 EDT 2007

--- Neeraj Singh <neeraj.lw at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> hi,
> I am new to mapserver technology , installed MS4W with php and mysql . I am
> wandering, how this shapefiles are created and unable to create one on my
> own. Is there a tool available to create shapefiles or can I get this GIS
> data from some-where.

A few comments.

I've had minimal experience with running this under Windows, but it has worked
fine when I have, although performance was significantly poorer than under
Linux or FreeBSD.

I would strongly recommend PostGIS over MySQL for spatial data management.

The GDAL/OGR packages are able to create shapefiles from many other data
formats, or you can use these with MS4W to access data directly in formats
other than shapefiles. Shapelib may also be useful.

See http://www.freegis.org/ (geo-data) for some data sources which are in
shapefile format, See http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/a0118e/a0118e05.htm for a
discussion of some global coastline datasets,

Some other good pointers are at
http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/2100/2101.html#vmap0

If you hunt, VMAP0, DCW and GSHHS global datasets sre available for download as
shapefiles, although they can be quite large.

Many local & national datasets are also available, if you have a more specific
requirement, ask to see if anyone can help.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood