mapserver and msCross

Rodrigo Martín LÓPEZ GREGORIO rodrigomlg at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 11:10:15 EDT 2007

Hi Mark.

The myMap.setFullExtent() is a javascript function. It is implemented in
mscross.js file and the it get only three parameters because the function
calculate the Ymax acording to the other three parameters and the map
dimension in pixels (i.e. the size in pixels of the map_tag div element), so
the aspect of the image would be the right one. If you look at the code of
the myMap.setFullExtent() javascript function you will see that even when it
takes only three parameters it sets four variables values (_ext_Xmin_orig,
_ext_Xmax_orig, _ext_Ymin_orig, _ext_Ymax_orig) and the function
myMap.setExtent() (wich is used to set the new extent each time you use a
tool, as pan or zoom) makes the same job settings the four variables
(_ext_Xmin, _ext_Xmax, _ext_Ymin and _ext_Ymax) values.

If you look then at the myMap.get_map_url() function you will see that when
the function creates the url, the four values are used:

      var ext  = 'mapext=' + (_ext_Xmin-i.wPixel2real(_map_w_bord)) + '+'
                           + (_ext_Ymin-i.hPixel2real(_map_h_bord)) + '+'
                           + (_ext_Xmax+i.wPixel2real(_map_w_bord)) + '+'
                           + (_ext_Ymax+i.hPixel2real(_map_h_bord)) ;

So actually when your php mapscript file is called the 'mapext' variable
passed throug GET method have the four extent values (Xmin, Xmax, Ymin and
Ymax).

I hope I was clear enough but sometimes my bad english don't allow me to
make a better explanation. If you have any question, ask me again.

Rodrigo.