MapScript projection error - CGI works fine

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Jun 12 15:04:48 EDT 2007

Pascal Ehlert wrote:
> Hi Mapserver Community!
>
> This is my first post here, I hope the project is still active.
>
> I've just been trying to migrate my MapServer stuff from the CGI version to
> the Ruby MapScript version
> for better integration with my Rails (for those of you who don't know, it's
> a Ruby web framework) application.
>
> Now, while CGI is working fine, the MapScript refuses to work at all,
> because of a projection error.
> This really confuses me, I'm using exactly the same mapfile for both of them.
>

> This is what I do in Ruby and the error I get:
>
 > RuntimeError: loadProjection(): Projection library error. Projection support
 > is not available.

Pascal,

This generally means that your Ruby mapscript was built without PROJ.4
support.  I think you need to rebuild ruby mapscript ensuring that PROJ.4
support is enabled during the full build of mapscript and the underlying
mapserver library.  I'm guessing that your mapscript and mapserver cgi are
not from the same build.

PS. MapServer is still very active, though perhaps Ruby Mapscript is only
lightly used.

Best regards,