Mapserver damn slow

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun Jun 17 13:15:07 EDT 2007

Pascal Ehlert wrote:
> Me again..
>
> I finally had some time to benchmark the mapserver and was shocked when
> I saw the results ;-)
> Using the newest mapserver, fastcgi with lighttpd (with apache and
> normal CGI it's even slower), PNG as output format, three layers (the
> whole African continent) from PostGIS and
> truetype fonts I came to only 3.9 requests/s.. That is damn slow, isn't it?

Pascal,

You haven't provided enough information to respond to the question.
In particular, you haven't addressed the quantity of vector information
going into the average map view at that 3.9 requests/s speed.

For a complex map with a lot of vector information coming out of
PostGIS on modest hardware it isn't bad.  But the missing variable
is the vector density in these map views.

Best regards,