Newbie With Some Questions

Paul Yelk paulp575 at DOG-WALKER.US
Wed Jun 20 23:14:59 EDT 2007

I am new at this and just a bit confused as to where to begin!

Let me outline what I'm looking for -- A mapping software program that
can --

1. Import and export ArcView shapefiles (necessary as we are getting
USFS GIS data in this format)
2. Load USGS 24k topoquads (geoTIFF format)
3. (future need) Load satellite/aerial images
4. Provide an online environment where individuals can review proposed
trails and, if necessary, make recommendations to alternatives
5. Be the front to a query-able database so users can input various data
and see a catalog of areas that meet those requirements (primarily a
"Where To Ride" database similar to the MN DNR Trails Guide!) I'm
thinking of creating the database in MySQL and using PHP along with it.
6. Import and export GPS files - probably in the GPS eXchange format (.gpx)

It appears MapServer will meet these needs.
If it does, I am attempting to figure out how to proceed. I want to
first use it on my own computer for testing purposes before uploading it
to a web host for online use.

I have looked at the various reference docs as well as some of the
tutorials, but feel somewhat daunted if I need to start writing
configuration files.

I have downloaded the MS4W package as well as the demo data, but not yet
installed it due to some questions about it.

I am well-versed in HTML and have limited knowledge of javascript; have
done some web site administration; and do know some programming languages.

My specific questions are --

1. Installing the MS4W package - will it change any of my Windows XP Pro
registry settings? (I had previously installed the trial version of
ArcView and when I removed it using a very good uninstaller program
called "Your Uninstaller", it left behind a lot of ArcView entries in
the registry! At one time I removed 1,800+plus entires, but still see
some more left behind! Don't want that mess again in case I need to
remove it!)

2. Do I need to be concerned about writing all these configuration
files? Or will MS4W work in it's default configuration without a lot of
modifications to the configuration files?

3. In the MS4W readme file, it mentions running MS4W as a service. I do
not want to do this as this will initially be installed on my home
computer for testing purposes. Once testing is complete, I will upload
it to a web host for online use.

   In the MS4W readme file, it mentions that for Windows 95/98/ME users,
it can not be run as a service. They have to manually start it each time
they want to use it and then just close the DOS box to stop MS4W from
running. Can I also do this for Windows XP Pro?

4. If, after evaluation, I find this program to meet our needs, what do
I upload to a web host? And how do it upload it to a web host so that it
is in the "root" folder of some drive?

Thanks,

Paul