working with database in UTF-8

Paul Hastings paul at SUSTAINABLEGIS.COM
Wed Jun 27 00:50:20 EDT 2007

Jackey Cheung wrote:
> Currently, all data in the mysql database use utf8, and I'm running a wfs
> server with the same data, which seems fine. I can use openlayers running in
> ie or firefox to retrieve data and show them correctly on screen, using utf8
> encoding. Question marks show up only in mapserver generated images.
>
> Any advise how can I pin down the cause of this problem?

have you done what the other folks have suggested (verify data/encoding)? can
you dump out a text file from mySQL & double check that the text is still
readable & unicode?

sorry but i don't know enough about OGR to be specific but in most cases it's
the db driver itself or it's settings. in the past, i've dealt w/mySQL JDBC
driver (outside of mapserver apps) & its url usually needed

useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8

added to the connection string (not sure if this is still the case w/newer
versions) to get unicode to work.

also if you're sure your db *is* unicode, have you tried dropping the utf-8
encoding from your label?