linked tables and spatial queries

Maciej Sieczka tutey at O2.PL
Thu Jun 28 19:30:14 EDT 2007

Hi All!

I'm new here. Just joined the list as I can't find an answer to my
question on the Mapserver site, archives and googling around. Maybe I'm
just missing terms which I should look for, as I haven't used UMN
Mapserver yet and have very little experience with RDBMS.

There are 3 postgis layers - administrative boundaries (polygon),
protected areas (polygon), location of parties A, B, C, responsible for
the protected areas (points).

I know I can use UMN Mapserver in order to present the data on a website.

But, can Mapserver allow for queries like:

a) I click an admistrative unit on the map and obtain a highlited view
and a list of protected areas that overlap it?

b) now choose one protected area from the list (not from the map) and
see which party is responsible for it?

c) now click the name of the party and obtain a list and a map view of
other protected areas it is in charge of?

Sorry if these are  obvious questions. I have no experience with RDBMS
and Mapserver. Just starting. If what I need is doable, I will be very
gratefull if anybody can point me to a resource where I can read how to
do it.

Best,
Maciek