linked tables and spatial queries

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 28 21:50:47 EDT 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007 16:30, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I'm new here. Just joined the list as I can't find an answer to my
> question on the Mapserver site, archives and googling around. Maybe I'm
> just missing terms which I should look for, as I haven't used UMN
> Mapserver yet and have very little experience with RDBMS.
>
> There are 3 postgis layers - administrative boundaries (polygon),
> protected areas (polygon), location of parties A, B, C, responsible for
> the protected areas (points).
>
> I know I can use UMN Mapserver in order to present the data on a website.
>
> But, can Mapserver allow for queries like:
>
> a) I click an admistrative unit on the map and obtain a highlited view
> and a list of protected areas that overlap it?
>
> b) now choose one protected area from the list (not from the map) and
> see which party is responsible for it?
>
> c) now click the name of the party and obtain a list and a map view of
> other protected areas it is in charge of?
>
> Sorry if these are  obvious questions. I have no experience with RDBMS
> and Mapserver. Just starting. If what I need is doable, I will be very
> gratefull if anybody can point me to a resource where I can read how to
> do it.
>
> Best,
> Maciek

Hey Maciek, nice to see you here on the mapsever list!

I was in need of this type of functionality, and found it through two methods:

1. define a query template in your mapfile, and have it redirect the user to a
PHP page which can do related DB lookups and presentation. You can pass along
mapserver query results on the URL.

2. use something like ka-map and adjust how the query system displays the
results in the left-hand side panel. I modified the query functions such that
all searching and presentation was done via postgres+PHP.

let me know if you need the details.

cheers,

dylan

--