Google Maps as Mapserver Layer

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Thu Mar 1 12:17:58 EST 2007

I'd love to hear whether the situation has changed. Last time I said this,
nobody contradicted me, so i'll repeat what I said then...

There's no way to use Google Maps in Mapserver, due to Google's terms of
use. Some folks wrote a WMS gateway to Google Maps, for example, and got a
cease-and-desist for it.

There are other options, though, if you're willing/able to serve up your
Mapserver output via WMS. A) You could use Mapserver's WMS output in a
Google Map, because Google doesn't have a problem with that. B) Look for a
framework that supports both WMS and Google Maps and use that to import
both your WMS output and Google's basemap; I know that OpenLayers had
Google Maps support on their drawing board, but I don't know the status of
it.

--
HostGIS, open-source GIS solutions for a global community
www.hostgis.com