Google Maps as Mapserver Layer

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Mar 1 12:10:30 EST 2007

Richie,

One of the quiet tragedies of the Google Earth/Maps mania is that once
public data is handed over to the Googleplex it becomes slightly less
public. You are only allowed to access mapping data served by Google via
Google-approved mechanisms, such as the Maps API or directly via Earth.

Another public geodata issue, I suppose. If enough folks who wanted to
"give their data to google" instead gave it to a 3rd party who processed
it into standardized tiles, then people could still get direct access to
the public data, and Google/Microsoft could easily integrate it as well.

Paul

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research