non-tiff (24 bit?) raster layers in 4.10

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Mon May 7 11:30:42 EDT 2007

I'ma bit curious on the status of non-tiff raster layer handling in the 4.10
series of Mapserver. I'm a bit pressed for space on a server and tried some
alternative formats for the raster data and have interesting results compared
to what the docs on http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data say.
For example, I tried converting to jp2 (with gdal_translate -of JPEG2000),
and while the GDAL log says everything's OK using these files, the rasters do
NOT appear (nor do they appear in GIF format, which I tried because it is not
a 24bit format). The raster only appears if the input is PNG or TIFF,
regardless of the output imagetype (jpeg, png, png24, etc). I'm using debian
etch packages on this specific machine. Any ideas or pointers on the current
state of affairs with non-tiff rasters ?

  LAYER
      NAME "TILE2"
      STATUS ON
      GROUP "Ortofoto"
      DATA ortofoto/75795_48000.jp2
      TYPE RASTER
  END

debug log:
JPEG2000: IHDR box found. Dump: width=5000, height=5000, numcmpts=3, bpp=8
JPEG2000: Component 0: bpp=8, signedness=0
JPEG2000: Component 1: bpp=8, signedness=0
JPEG2000: Component 2: bpp=8, signedness=0
GDAL: GDALOpen(/data/ortofoto/75795_48000.jp2) succeeds as JPEG2000.
GDAL: GDALClose(/data/ortofoto/75795_48000.jp2)
GDAL: GDALDeregister_GTiff() called.

MapServer version 4.10.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG

GDAL 1.3.2.0, released 2006/05/02
The following format drivers are configured and support output:
  VRT: Virtual Raster
  GTiff: GeoTIFF
  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  ELAS: ELAS
  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
  PNG: Portable Network Graphics
  JPEG: JPEG JFIF
  MEM: In Memory Raster
  GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
  FITS: Flexible Image Transport System
  XPM: X11 PixMap Format
  BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
  PCIDSK: PCIDSK Database File
  PCRaster: PCRaster Raster File
  ILWIS: ILWIS Raster Map
  GMT: GMT NetCDF Grid Format
  netCDF: Network Common Data Format
  HDF4Image: HDF4 Dataset
  PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
  ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled
  EHdr: ESRI .hdr Labelled
  PAux: PCI .aux Labelled
  MFF: Vexcel MFF Raster
  MFF2: Vexcel MFF2 (HKV) Raster
  BT: VTP .bt (Binary Terrain) 1.3 Format
  IDA: Image Data and Analysis
  JPEG2000: JPEG-2000 part 1 (ISO/IEC 15444-1)
  FIT: FIT Image
  RMF: Raster Matrix Format
  RST: Idrisi Raster A.1
  USGSDEM: USGS Optional ASCII DEM (and CDED)