AGG/GIF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Nov 7 10:56:03 EST 2007

Frédéric Junod wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does the AGG renderer support gif ?
>
> I suspect no because [1] don't mention it.
>
> I've try with:
>
> OUTPUTFORMAT
>   NAME gif
>   DRIVER "AGG/GIF"
>   MIMETYPE "image/gif"
> END
>
> But mapserv returns:
> "loadOutputFormat(): General error message. OUTPUTFORMAT clause references
> driver AGG/GIF, but this driver isn't configured."

Frédéric,

I think the issue is that AGG produces 24bit output images, not 8bit paletted
as supported by GIF.  So only 24bit image formats (PNG, JPEG) are available.
In theory GIF could be supported by "crushing" the image down to 8bit paletted
after rendering is complete, but I think the results would be very
unsatisfactory in most cases.

Best regards,