System Configuration

Bruce Cheney BLC at JUB.COM
Wed Nov 7 19:32:36 EST 2007

Milo,

Thanks for the response.  I understand that the requirements are the
limit and the driving force.  So here is what we are up against and
maybe that will help.

We have been given a requirement to support 5000 simultaneous users.
What we are finding is that MapServer bogs down around 400 simultaneous
users on a test machine.  It looks like it is likely slowing because of
the threading issue.  We haven't tested on a production machine but are
estimating that it should support double what are test machine could
handle (double the processor and RAM).  So at least 800 simultaneous
users.  Divide that out with the 5000 and we need a minimum of 6-7 web
servers supporting MapServer.  We will certainly scale this as is needed
but I do need some idea going in as to what is going to be required.

Does this sound like results that others expect or is this quantity
above what others have tested?  Also Does anyone know of a solution in
the works to run make mapserver thread safe and/or up the overall speed?
I am not complaining about the speed just wondering what is in the
works.

Thanks again.

Bruce Cheney
Gateway Mapping, Inc