aaigrid display problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 12 09:34:18 EST 2007

Dejan Gambin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have successfully clasified the dana in .asc file and it is looking
> good. I am just seeing some lack in performance so I would just like to
> know if there are some performance tips I can use, similar to other
> raster performance techniques (tiling, tileindexes, overviews)?

Dejan,

Convert it to GeoTIFF!

Seriously, ascii grid files are an interchange format, not a working format.
It is surprisingly expensive (from a performance point of view) to parse
big ascii files and convert all those numbers into internal binary form.

   gdal_translate your.asc your.tif

If the dataset is large, tiling and overviews (as normal) may be helpful.

Best regards,