aaigrid display problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 12 10:27:59 EST 2007

Dejan Gambin wrote:
> Great idea,
>
> And I can still query and classify my data, right?

Dejan,

Yes

 > Since the current example
> data I have is pretty small and I saw the performance leak while reading the
> data, I suppose this is because of work on classifying the data. And this
> won't change with tif right? Is it better to convert the asc file to esri
> shape(s)?

Ah, indeed geotiff will suffer just as much from the classification cost.
One issue is the "number of bins" selected.  By default the classification is
pre-computed for 65536 possible values which is often overkill.

As discussed in (see 2.1.1 in particular):
   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/#classifying-rasters

you may find it helpful to reduce the SCALE_BUCKETS value and perhaps even
set your own min/max.

eg.

   PROCESSING "SCALE_BUCKETS=1000"

Best regards,