Java Mapserver app - queryLayerByPoint. How?

Jeresin info at JERESIN.CO.ZA
Tue Nov 13 14:46:45 EST 2007

Hello all

(insert usual sorry-I'm-a-newbie-I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing drivel here)

OK, with that out the way, on to business. Notwithstanding the vast
non-existence of useful Java tutorials on the web, I was able to slap
together a rather nice desktop app with most of the bells and whistles one
would expect...except for the fact that I don't know where or how to obtain
the information (metadata?) associated with shapes. I can query my layers by
point, but the TEMPLATE throws me...that works well with the web-based maps
but not with a stand-alone desktop app.

The info I want, for instance the names and populations of towns, are all in
a similarly named dbf file as the shp file. I don't want to distribute the
data into a database, nor do I want to fetch an index from the layer and use
a non-proprietary java library to break open the dbf to match the data
contained therein with my index.

So, my question, how would I interrogate shapes (using queryLayerByPoint) in
a desktop app?

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this regard.