Using GDAL WMS Driver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 19 16:38:17 EST 2007

Chris Helm wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm searching for any use cases of using the new GDAL WMS driver within
> MapServer. The goal is to use the GDAL WMS .xml file (below) as the raster
> image in a mapserver layer definition (also below). I can use the xml file
> successfully within QGIS 9.0 and also convert it into other formats on the
> command line via gdal_translate. I've re-compiled MapServer to read the new
> GDAL install and am getting a "format not recognized" error (below) from
> MapServer.
> The MapServer Error:
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'gdal_wms_test'.
> msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image format
> drawEPP(): Image handling error. EPPL7 support is not available.

Chris,

I *suspect* your MapServer build isn't really using the new GDAL.  Either
that, or possible permissions problems on the file when running as Apache.

Can you try shp2img on the map?  If that works, it's library ordering
or permissions.  If shp2img doesn't work then you can easily check libraries
using ldd on shp2img, and it can't be permissions.

Best regards,