C# Mapscript ASP.NET Deployment Problem

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 24 17:55:19 EST 2007

Hi Bruno,

Some of the ASP.NET related issues have been enumerated here:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/mapscriptcscompile

But I'd add some further info that might be important:

1. If you develop with VS 2005 you probably use WebDev.Webserver.exe
as the ASP.NET hosting process under the security context of the local
user. Upon deploying the application to the IIS environment you
probably use the aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe according to the OS you
use. These processes are working differently from where the dependent
dll-s are loded actually. Under the IIS environment the standard dll
search approach is used for those dll-s that are not referenced
directly by the csharp related dll-s in the assembly manifest.

The standard dll search order for Windows can be:

   a. The directory from which the application loaded.
   b. The current directory
   c. The system directory.
   d. The 16-bit system directory.
   e. The Windows directory.
   f. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

Note on #a: The common locations of the ASP:NET host process are:
- On Windows 2003:   %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\inetsrv
- On WIndows XP:   %SYTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\[framework version]

Note on #f: You can either set the PATH globally or only for the ASPNET user.

You can use the sysinternals filemon tool to track where your files
are to be loaded actually.

2. If you run the application on x64 IIS will use the Win64 framework
by default so you should compile all of the dlls for x64. Otherwise
you get a BadImageFormatException during the load. It must be noted
that WebDev.WebServer always runs the 32 bit version of the .NET
framework.

My questions

1. Do you have a specific error message if you enable the debug and
error reporting option in your Web.config file?
2. Is your app running on .NET FW 1.1 or  .NET FW 2.0

Best regards,

Tamas