getting elevation data from mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Nov 26 09:25:11 EST 2007

Maarten Hilgenga wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to output elevation data in dem format as described in the
> WCS server example. The elevation data is in dted format (hgt file).
 > Since gdalinfo doesn't recognize this file as useable, ...
Maarten,

GDAL/MapServer supports the DTED format.  DTED files; however, do not
normally have the .hgt extension.  This often is used for SRTM data
in "raw" format.

 > ...I've used
> global mapper to convert it to geotiff. The geoTiff is 1201x1201 and
> has three bands:
>
> Band 1 Block=1201x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
> Band 2 Block=1201x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
> Band 3 Block=1201x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

It would appear that this translation with global mapper has damaged
the image data - converting it to 8bit and apparently into RGB mode
as well.  Either skip this step and work directly from your DTED files
(if they are really dted) or figure out a more appropriate way to do
the translation.

Best regards