AGG docs (and 5.0.0 docs in general) ?

Rich Fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 26 21:21:16 EST 2007

I've been exploring mapserver a bit for the past few weeks, and my main source
of documentation has been the various bits that are here:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs

And specifically this URL for the mapfile syntax:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile

As I mentioned in another post:

http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0711&L=mapserver-users&T=0&F=&S=&X=1543504A22CA5E519A&Y=nospam420%40yahoo.com&P=51466

I was considering posting to the list a question about having trouble getting
antialiasing working with lines of TYPE CARTOLINE.  It was only through
exploring these archives that I became aware of the existence of AGG, and the
fact that cartoline symbols are likely to be deprecated in the future:

http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0709&L=MAPSERVER-USERS&P=R29108&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=0&X=1543504A22CA5E519A&Y=nospam420%40yahoo.com

I gather from reading these archives a little that using AGG largely just
entails specifying it as an OUTPUTFORMAT, although I can find no mention of
AGG as an available OUTPUTFORMAT here:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/outputformat
I had been under the impression that that documentation was current for 5.0.0.

I do recognize that the cartographic symbol documentation itself makes no
claim to be any more recent than 4.8
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/cartosymbols/

So finally, the crux of my question:

1) Is there any specific documentation for using AGG with mapserver?  The only
   mention of it that I have yet been able to find outside of this mailing
   list archive is the following single line in README.CONFIGURE (so I assume
   I will have to install agg and then recompile mapserver to try this).

  --with-agg[=DIR]        Include AGG support (DIR is AGG's install dir).

2) More generally, is there any mapserver 5.0.0 specific documentation, and is
   there any way to know what version any particular documentation refers to
   if it does not explicitly say?  There's not much in the way of
   documentation included in the mapserver .tar.gz file, certainly nothing
   with the (very good) level of detail that is available on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

- Rich Fromm