outline colors for lines ?

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 27 18:38:12 EST 2007

First of all, thank you for all of the prompt and helpful assistance I've
gotten so far.  I hope I'm not asking too many questions here.

Now on to my current quandry:  Is there any simple way of drawing lines with
outlines?

The mapfile docs:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/style

are indeed very clear in saying for OUTLINECOLOR that:

  Line symbols do not support outline colors.

Although since there seem to be other examples of where those docs are
mapserver 4.x centric, I thought it might be worth asking with respect to
5.0.0.  But I don't see any evidence of it in the 4.10.x to 5.0.x migration
guide:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/tags/rel-5-0-0/mapserver/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT

And I tried just adding an OUTLINECOLOR along with the existing COLOR in the
STYLE section for a line, and that didn't work.

Currently the approach that I'm taking is as follows.  For a line of width
of
m pixels plus an outline of n pixels, I first draw a line of width m+(2*n)
with the COLOR of the outline, and then I draw a line of width m with the
COLOR of the main line atop that.  This was based on suggestions here:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/cartosymbols/

While that works, it seems a little hacky, and I wonder if it has
performance
issues since ultimately each line has to be completely rendered twice.  So I
was wondering if there was a better way.