gdal2tiles and mapserver

Holger Jaekel holger.jaekel at GAF.DE
Thu Nov 29 06:08:23 EST 2007

Hello Milo,

On Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:13 AM, Milo van der Linden wrote:
> I am currently slicing up a ecw file with gdal2tiles (as included in
FWtools 2.0)

I think ECW allows decompression of selected regions without the need to
decompress the whole file, so what is the advantage of creating tiles?
Mapserver can read ECW via GDAL, so you can define a layer like:

LAYER
    NAME "ecwlayer"
    DATA "image.ecw"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
END

> Now I would like to be able to use these tiles in mapserver, does
anyone know if
> this is possible at all? Or am I on the wrong track and should I use
the batch-script
> that was handed to me earlier?

You have to create a tileindex file (e.g. with gdaltindex) and use the
tileindex shapefile in your mapfile.

Best regards,
  Holger

---
Holger Jaekel
phone: +49 (89) 121528-75	mailto:holger.jaekel at gaf.de
fax:   +49 (89) 121528-79	http://www.gaf.de
GAF AG     Arnulfstr. 197     D-80634 Muenchen     Germany

Vorstand: Dr. Peter Volk, Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Marcello Maranesi

Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 140 509, Firmensitz: Muenchen