confused by STATUS ON/OFF purpose

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Wed Oct 17 15:37:20 EDT 2007

Nathan Vander Wilt wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what a layer's "STATUS" really means. I get
> DEFAULT -- basically, the layer is on no matter what. But in practice,
> I'm not seeing the difference between ON and OFF.

As far as we've found, it indicates a desired state for the initial map.
For example, one can iterate through layers in JavaScript or Mapscript,
and know which layers "should be on" when the map first loads. It's more
of a suggestion for the map client, so it can check boxes and make a
list of layers and build a URL for the initial view.

At least, that's the practical end of things as we use it.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA