determining aspect ratio and output map extents

Nathan Vander Wilt nathan.vanderwilt at ORIONNETWORKSOLUTIONS.COM
Thu Oct 18 12:57:31 EDT 2007

We are hoping to use MapServer to automate the rasterization of a
whole stack of layers. We previously did this using ArcMap's image
export, and although the process was fraught with peril, the program
did allow us to export a world file giving the extent of the exported
images, which we rely on in a later part of our process.

We've noted that the EXTENT set in the map file does not always match
the output, because the output image extents also depend on the
aspect ratio of the given SIZE.

Do the MapServer tools provide any method to determine an optimal
aspect ratio for the SIZE so that the EXTENT set in the map file will
match the extent of the output image after rendering?

And/or: Is there a way to query the coordinates of the output corners
from a .map file, either via shp2img, the CGI or some other utility?

thanks,
-natevw