Adding lines to GetCapabilites document

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Oct 19 00:58:13 EDT 2007

Paul Tildesley wrote:
> For a particular application that uses my WMS, I need to add something
> like the following lines to the GetCapabilities document generated by
> Mapserver:
>
> <Dimension name="CurrencyStartDate" units="date"/>
> <Extent name="CurrencyStartDate">2000-01-01T00:00:00</Extent>
> <Dimension name="CurrencyEndDate" units="date"/>
> <Extent name="CurrencyEndDate">2010-12-31T23:59:59</Extent>
>
> This is valid in the GetCapabilities document but I cannot find a way to
> get Mapserver to generate this information. At present I am using a
> static document that has been hand modified but this is not a very
> satisfactory long term solution.
>
> I am currently running Mapserver 4.8.3 but I can upgrade if necessary.
>
> Any

Any,

One relatively heavy weight approach to this is to write a mapscript
wrapper script using the WxS services and having that script insert
your entries into the capabilities before returning it to the client.

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-16

For this you would need MapServer 4.10 or MapServer 5.0.

Of course, you could also fairly easily write a wrapper script that doesn't
even use the new RFC 16 services to do this with MappServer 4.8.

Best regards,