Installing to a web server

Oliver Ishmael oliver_ishmael at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 19 05:15:20 EDT 2007

Hello,

I found the following instructions on the Mapserver website:

7.1.1   The basic install

Under a default configuration, the CGI directory is
"/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin" (RedHat users will use "/home/httpd/cgi-bin").
Placing the mapserv file in this directory makes it accessible by the
following URL: "http://yourhostname.com/cgi-bin/mapserv". When accessing
this URL through your web client, you should expect the following output if
all has worked well: "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set,
but empty." If you get this message, you're done installing MapServer.

I downloaded the latest (v5.0.0) Mapserver distribution from
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/download/current
only to find that this included many files - presumably uncompiled?

Where can i find a 'Mapserv file' to put in my web servers cgi-bin?

Many thanks