Installing to a web server

Alessandro Pasotti ale.pas at TISCALI.IT
Fri Oct 19 05:25:38 EDT 2007

Il venerdì 19 ottobre 2007, Oliver Ishmael ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I found the following instructions on the Mapserver website:
>
> 7.1.1   The basic install
>
> Under a default configuration, the CGI directory is
> "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin" (RedHat users will use "/home/httpd/cgi-bin").
> Placing the mapserv file in this directory makes it accessible by the
> following URL: "http://yourhostname.com/cgi-bin/mapserv". When accessing
> this URL through your web client, you should expect the following output if
> all has worked well: "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set,
> but empty." If you get this message, you're done installing MapServer.
>

> I downloaded the latest (v5.0.0) Mapserver distribution from
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/download/current
> only to find that this included many files - presumably uncompiled?
>
> Where can i find a 'Mapserv file' to put in my web servers cgi-bin?
>

> Many thanks

I think you are looking for a pre-compiled (aka binary) package. You have
downloaded the source code.

Depending on your operating system (I assume Linux) and distribution you can
find packages ready to install, for example on ubuntu feisty, just add this
repository:

deb http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu feisty multiverse
deb-src http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu feisty multiverse

do apt-get upate and install as usual with apt-get.

For other distributions similar repositories exists as well.

If you don't find pre-compiled binaries for your distribution or architecture,
you can quite easily compile mapserver and all its dependencies following one
of the how-to's on the mapserver official site, ready to use scripts exists
there. But if you've never compiled anything before, this could become a
challenge.

Hope it helps.
--
Alessandro Pasotti
itOpen - "Open Solutions for the Net Age"