GML download slow through postgis compared to local shapefiles

Maarten Plieger plieger at KNMI.NL
Fri Oct 26 04:25:08 EDT 2007

Hi All,
 >Patricio Cifuentes Ithal schreef:

> Hi,
> Test with "the_geom from table using SRID=4326"

I tested this with the statement above and the results are:
WMS request: 3.3 seconds
WFS request: 215 seconds
66.8 MB in 3 min 35 sec
312 Kb/sec
This is slower than the previous timings.

> Bart wrote:
> dit komt omdat Mapserver per feature 1 SQL statement af zal vuren op
> PostGIS ....

I believe this is indeed the case. But for the WMS request, the response
is much quicker from postgis. You can view all the data in 3.3 seconds.
I guess with the WMS request all the data is transfered at once, using
one statement?
Is it possible that this could be made for the WFS request too? Or that
it is possbible to request more than one feature for each SQL statement?
It would be really nice to see the GML download speed up.
Regards,
Maarten Plieger