Can anyone email a MapServer cgi binary package for redhat?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Sep 7 09:57:29 EDT 2007

Good points Barend.

I would also add that while building ArcIMS from source on a Windows machine.  The user should not have admin rights, access to many of the directories, or access to all of the applications/services running on the machine.

To be serious (and maybe constructive), you are looking for a way to build or install software in an environment that has purposely been set up to prevent or discourage the installation of custom software.  Shared hosts usually set up their permissions schemes for a reason.  If you were to go with a host that offered MapServer services, or a host that would provide a virtual server that included 'admin' rights, you could install/run MapServer.

The FGS Linux installer makes it pretty easy to install MapServer on a linux machine.  Assuming that you have permissions to install software on the machine.  (it won't likely work on a shared host).  http://www.maptools.org/fgs/  It doesn't look like FGS is being kept up to date on versions though.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Barend Köbben
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:18 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Can anyone email a MapServer cgi binary package for redhat?

Hi peter,

You have some point, but don't do an honest comparison of course. Have you tried building ArcIMS from source...? I'm pretty sure even the ESRI people have problems with that!

You should compare installing ArcIMS (for windows only) with an pre-compiled Mapserver package for windows only) , say MS4W. The latter involves unzipping one archive, and you have a working installation.

I'm also no Linux user, but I know pre-packaged version exist, just as they exist for Windows (http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/) and MacOSX ( http://www.kyngchaos.com/)...

__
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information
Sciences and Earth Observation (ITC)
PO Box 6, 7500AA Enschede (The Netherlands)
ph: +31 (0)53 4874253; fax: +31 (0)53 4874335